Home Heating Fire Prevention
With the weather beginning to cool down, it’ll soon be time to wake up your heating system, get the fireplace going, and light your many, many candles. However, before doing so, it’s important you prepare your home for the heat by taking the necessary precautions to prevent fires. home heating
Since we are heating and air specialists, we believe in whole home comfort. Heating your home is a big part of our speciality, and we want to make sure it’s done as safely as possible! Home heating mishaps cause around 50,000 fires a year. Protect your home and your family by following these home heating fire prevention safety tips: home heating
General Heating Safety fire prevention
- All heating sources need at least 3 feet of clearance. This includes fireplaces, cooking equipment, space heaters, candles, and your furnace.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Do not leave burning candles unattended.
- Do not leave a space heater unattended, and be sure to unplug it before leaving the room or your house.
- NEVER connect a space heater to an extension cord.
- If the heater has a damaged cord or plug, do not use it.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. Regularly test your alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
- Smell gas? Turn off the appliance immediately and evacuate. Call the fire department or your local gas company for next steps. Learn about what to do if you smell gas here.
- Regularly clean and inspect your chimney. Use a proper screen to prevent embers from escaping the fireplace.
Heating Equipment Safety home heating
- When installing a wood burning stove, have a professional do the work and be sure to follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Be sure to vent any fuel burning equipment outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- When installing stationary central heating equipment, have a licensed professional from Garrison & Garrison do the work. We’re trained on installation methods for local codes and will ensure your system is installed properly for the comfort of your home and the safety of your family. fire prevention
- Get a maintenance plan for your HVAC system. Our Priority Plus Energy Savings Plan makes sure your system runs smoothly throughout every season and ensures increased efficiency and prolonged system life to save you money.
Learn More home heating fire prevention
Garrison & Garrison Heating & Air is a trusted American Standard Heating & Air Conditioning Customer Care Dealer in Huntsville, AL. Our professional staff can answer any questions you might have.