Holiday Home Maintenance Checklist
Owning a home, especially during the holidays, is a dream come true for many, but it also comes with its own set of responsibilities that can’t be ignored. Regular maintenance is essential to keep your home in tip-top shape during the holidays and ready for family and friends to visit. Here’s a handy checklist to help you stay on top of tasks that you may not otherwise have thought about.
- Check for leaks: Inspect all faucets, pipes, and toilets for any signs of leakage.
- Drain the water heater: This should be done at least once a year to remove sediment and prevent corrosion.
- Winterize if necessary: If the weather is going to be below freezing, make sure to winterize the plumbing to prevent frozen pipes. In North Alabama, you can usually just leave your faucets dripping throughout the night.
- Test smoke detectors: Replace batteries as needed and test the alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
- Check light bulbs: Replace any that are burnt out.
- Get A Professional: If you have wiring issues, or other electrical issues that you can’t figure out on your own, it’s best to call an electrician to help. They know what they’re doing and can save you from unsafe situations.
- Clean gutters: Remove leaves and other debris to prevent blockages.
- Inspect the roof: Look for missing or damaged shingles.
- Check doors and windows: Make sure they are sealed properly to prevent drafts and leaks.
- Deep clean: Declutter, clean carpets, dust surfaces, and wash linens.
- Check appliances: Ensure all appliances are in good working order.
- Pest control: Check for signs of pests and take necessary action if needed.
- Check locks: Ensure all doors and windows lock securely.
- Inspect outdoor lighting: Replace any burnt out bulbs and ensure all lights are working properly. Hang some extra outdoor lights for spending quality time outside.
- Check fire extinguishers: Make sure they are fully charged and not expired.
6. HVAC System:
The HVAC system plays a crucial role in maintaining a comfortable and healthy indoor environment. Regular maintenance of your HVAC system is necessary to ensure optimal performance and energy efficiency. Here are a few important tasks to include in your holiday home maintenance checklist:
- Change Air Filters: Start by replacing or cleaning the air filters regularly. Dirty filters can restrict airflow and reduce the system’s efficiency.
- Clean Vents and Registers: Remove any dirt, dust, or debris from vents and registers. This prevents blockages and ensures proper air circulation throughout the house.
- Inspect Ductwork: Check for any visible signs of leaks, loose connections, or damage in the ductwork.
- Check Thermostat: Verify that the thermostat is functioning correctly and set at an appropriate temperature for the season. Consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat for better control and energy savings.
- Clear Outdoor Unit: Remove any vegetation, debris, or obstructions around the outdoor unit. This allows proper airflow and prevents potential damage.
- Monitor Energy Consumption: Keep track of the HVAC system’s energy consumption habits. Unusual spikes in usage could indicate underlying issues requiring attention.
- Schedule Professional Maintenance: Arrange for professional HVAC maintenance at least once a year. A qualified technician will thoroughly inspect, clean, and tune-up the system, ensuring its longevity and efficiency.
Garrison & Garrison cares about the comfort of our community, and we’re here to keep you cozy in your home throughout every season. If you need to schedule HVAC maintenance before the holidays, contact us or sign up on our website today! Ensure your home is comfortable throughout the holidays!