The transition from winter to spring can really get you thinking about soaring energy costs and uncomfortable conditions. However, it doesn’t have to! The simple solution to keeping energy costs low and comfort high this spring and summer is to invest in a programmable thermostat. Keep control of your comfort by following these tips to get the most out of your new device.
Figure Out a Daily Schedule
With most of us being gone for a large portion of each day, there’s tons of room to save energy and money. By setting your programmable thermostat according to your schedule, your system will work more efficiently and effectively while keeping you comfortable all the while. So, how do you sync your programmable thermostat to your lifestyle?
- Schedule your thermostat to decrease your heat or increase your air (depending on the season) by around 3-5 degrees 30 minutes before going to sleep each night. You’ll be saving money in your sleep!
- In the morning, you can have your thermostat scheduled to be running normally again 30 minutes before waking up. This will keep you from being uncomfortable first thing in the morning.
- 30 minutes before leaving your home, your thermostat should be scheduled to run at about 5-10 degrees higher or lower (depending on the season) while you’re away.
- Again, 30 minutes before you return, have the temperature scheduled to be comfortable again.
- Repeat throughout the week whenever your schedule is on this cycle. For most of us, this is every week.
Figure Out a Weekly Schedule
It’s likely you’re not on this same schedule every day of the week AND on the weekends. That’s why you’re able to schedule your thermostat on a weekly setting! Schedule each day, Monday-Sunday on your own terms according to your lifestyle. Don’t worry! You can always change the temperature manually if your schedule changes.
At Garrison & Garrison, we offer a number of different smart and programmable thermostats. Our most popular thermostats and a few of their features are listed below.
- Standard programmable thermostats: these thermostats allow you to program in your schedule for each day of the week. They are quick to install and work with most comfort systems.
- Smart thermostats: With the ever-changing, internet-enabled world, we’ve made it possible to control your comfort from your fingertips with our Nexia Smart Thermostats.
- Garrison & Garrison offers several great models of smart thermostats. We often recommend the American Standard 1050 or 850 controls because they work best with high-efficiency equipment. They both offer large, easy to use touch screens and can be controlled from any device. These thermostats can also tell your comfort system how to regulate humidity in your home, which is a big factor in our climate. Smart thermostats are a great investment that can aid in daily efficiency!
- Want to keep holding on to traditional thermostats? Our American Standard hard-working, reliable thermostats suit every system and any budget while still giving you control of your home’s comfort right at your fingertips.
What If My Schedule Changes?
As mentioned before, if your schedule changes, it’s not a problem! Programmable thermostats are great for keeping up with your normal schedule, or for times when your schedule changes, such as going on vacation, staying home for a long weekend, or having to call out sick from work one day. We always recommend these thermostats for our customers so they can always make changes to their home comfort depending on their lifestyle or the weather.
Garrison & Garrison is a trusted American Standard HVAC dealer in Huntsville, AL. Our professional staff can answer any questions you might have, and make recommendations as to which system will work better for your individual situation. Call us at 256-859-8500 or email us at [email protected] if you’re interested in a programmable thermostat.